After several months of development & 5 BETA releases I'm a little excited to announce today our InstantKB 2014 release has now gone final and is available to existing customers for download. This is a huge update for us and now completes our migration to C# for both InstantForum & InstantKB.
Take a look at our InstantKB 2014 What's New page to learn a litlte more...
For now please don't hesitate to try our early online demo. You can login as an administrator & staff member using the default login credentials listed below.
We've made so many improvements in this release it would be overwhelming to list them all here. Instead I'll provide a brief high level overview of each major improvement below...
- Reporting for all content. tickets & searches
- Significantly Improved search relevance ranking
- Complete migration to C# for the entire code base
- New responsive mobile friendly Classic skin
- New real-time global search (across both articles & customer tickets)
- New flat UI design for the default skin
- New cleaner, mobile friendly admin & staff CP design
- New WYSIWYG (paste images from clipboard, touch support)
- New Homepage sections (feature categories of articles on your homepage - Getting Started, How Tos, Videos etc)
- Improved tools to manage user submitted comments
- New provider & plug-in extensibility model (for our forthcoming marketplace)
There are hundreds of smaller improvements in our 2014 update. A few of these include...
- Move to more semantic HTML 5 based mark-up
- Added ability to mark tickets as resolved automatically via workflows
- Improved content sharing with social networks (this can also be completely disabled)
- Improved live suggestions from knowledgebase as users compose support tickets
- Improvements to documentation skin & split tabs (easier to add & edit content)
- New server side database viewstate management (smaller pages)
- New page & resource (js, css) minification & bundling (smaller pages)
- Improved live suggestion accuracy from the kb (when composing tickets)
- New asynx support for many time intensive operations
- Improved ticket searching (question and all replies will be searched by default)
- New IoC design pattern applied throughout code (fewer dependencies easier testing)
- Improved PDF export capabilities for articles
- Move to VS 2012 / 2013 / .NET 4.5
It's taken us a long time to prepare this release mainly due to the complete code migration to C#. This alone has taken several months to complete however as we discussed previously in our "Going C# & .NET 4.5" post we feel this investment was well worth the time and offers us a solid platform to build upon going forward. Now the C# migration is complete you can expect more regular updates for InstantKB. We have lots of improvements planned that didn't make it into our 2014 release. Going forward we will now be focusing on adding the following features into future InstantKB releases...
- Article Localization & Translation Management Tools
- Single Inbox (email & social monitoring for inbound tickets)
- Visual workflow designer (for content approval - routing ticket workflows)
- Article Revision Histories (with side-by-side comparisons / diffgram & roll back capabilities)
- Improved user rating & user comments (spam detection, vote content up or down)
- We are developing a full REST API for InstantKB (easier integrations)
- Marketplace for both InstantForum & InstantKB (3rd party themes, language packs, plug-ins etc)
We hope you enjoy the improvements in our 2014 release. Of course if you have any suggestions or general comments please don't hesitate to post below or contact us. We've also been hard at work on our InstantForum 2014 release and have already made very good process. You can expect further news on our next InstantForum release in the coming week or two.
Optionally provide your comments to help us improve this blog entry...
Thank you for your feedback!